RADON - THE SILENT KILLER
What is Radon ? Radon is a naturally-occurring radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. Radon gas is inert, colorless and odorless. Radon is naturally in the atmosphere in trace amounts. Radon comes from the breakdown of uranium in soils and rocks. Radon enters homes through small cracks in floors or walls, construction joints, or gaps in foundations around pipes, wires, or pumps.
What are the dangers from Radon in Idaho ?
There are many areas throughout Idaho that have high levels of radon; about 2 out of 5 homes that have been tested in the state have levels above 4.0 pCi/L. Ada County is a moderate risk and several neighboring counties are at high risk.
Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer in nonsmokers. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that radon causes 21,000 lung cancer deaths each year in the U.S. The risk of developing lung cancer from radon depends on the level of radon you are exposed to over your lifetime, whether or not you are a smoker, and other genetic and environmental factors.
While everyone knows that smoking often leads to lung cancer, not many know of the risk of radon. We're here to educate you about radon in our area and to help you put your mind at ease about your home.
How Do I Protect My Family ?
Our testing procedure uses the most up to date, high tech system available. We place a data gathering device in your house and leave it there to collect data for 48 Hours. No disruption to your home or family.
You won't even know it's there ... but during those 48 hours, it's doing it's job gathering data that will then be analyzed by the most advanced system available. Your test data will be analyzed by the laboratory, compiled, and then sent to our office electronically the SAME DAY we pick up the monitor . We will immediately forward all data / reports to you. If your data shows no radon, then you have peace of mind. But if you do have radon present, you will be able to take action and do remediation so that you can sleep well knowing you are safe from this dangerous gas.